Sunday, March 13, 2011

How to talk to children about death.

I've mentioned in my previous blog about how my Grandfather is on his death bed and how I am very unsure how to break the news to the children. I had came across the hospice site and they have given me very useful information on how to 'break the news.' whenever the news does happen, that is.

I still find myself wondering how to even approach it. I am not a very religious person at all. In fact, I have read that introducing that X is with God now could quite possibly confuse and make whomever is receiving the bad news be bitter towards God if they have not been brought up to believe that everyone goes to heaven. Or whatever.

Alexander knows about God and Heaven. Not sure what he knows about hell as I am not the one who has brought up the Christian way to him. Hell is supposed to be a scary thing so I don't think that a lot of people actually tell young children about hell. I always knew about hell. Bad people go to hell. When you grow older you get told that if you don't believe in God you go to hell....Which makes one believe that if you don't believe in God you are bad, and I don't want MY kids to believe that...So you know I am just over thinking everything as usual and there I am left unsure still.

It's coming soon as my Grandpa grows worse every minute. Hospice has taken him off of all medicines as of this afternoon besides morphine, which means to me that they are just trying to make him go quickly and painless. Which is very good but also a big smack in the face that he is in fact dying and he is not going to get better like a part of me has been hoping so much.

Death is never easy. It's never a fun thing. It's complicated and sad and it sucks. I wish my children did not have to experience the sadness that may be coming to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment