Thursday, August 29, 2013

I stopped caring what people think!

SO this year I've decided I'm going to take a stand and not back out of doing the things I want to do. I will not let people intimidate me or make me feel like I don't belong. I also learned that I need to give people a chance here in Knoxville instead of automatically thinking that everyone that lives here is a snob.

I've lived here since January 2010 and belonged to this community, but never really felt like I belong.

Like I said in the beginning of this blog, I set a goal to be more involved and make new friends. Especially with the Moms in my town. When I signed up to be room Mom last year, I went to the meeting and signed up for the parties... and the only time anyone ever called me is because someone else backed out of doing something. But of course my snacks and drinks were always welcome, but not my physical participation.  When I signed up I wanted to try to not only do really fun things for our childrens holiday parties but I also wanted to try to make friends. I always walk up to the school with my boys and everyone else around me are talking to each other. Those are just some examples of my experience so far here.

So I've started finding a few people that seem friendly and start talking to them. I got on the conversation of house holds with this very friendly woman that told me she's jealous that we have so many kids. She wants eight, but has four. Very family oriented and a good person to hold a conversation to. I've also met another girl that we found common ground about our tattoos, she too felt like she was awkward because of them.

I also have been trying to talk to other parents at sports events and even offered to help the coach at a ball game this year! Which was totally huge for me!

As much as I have a big mouth and I tend to be confrontational, I do have a soft side of me that no one sees. Everyone always expects me to be the strong one that won't take anyone's shit, but I do strive to ' fit in' where I'm from by not changing and conform to the perfect hair, nice bod, seemingly super moms. I love my crazy hair, tattoos, silly sense of humor & I need to give other people a chance too.

SOOOO my goal is to make sure that when I sign up for room Mom, make sure I'm invited to all and any meetings, talk to everyone I see whether they look friendly or not, and just be confident at what kind of Mother and Wife I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment